Comprehensive Timeline Of Lincoln Child Center
1889: The Crocker family donates funds for Ms. McWade to build a new building and opens what becomes the West Oakland Home for Foundling and Orphaned Children.
1901: The first dues are collected making West Oakland Home a membership agency.
1911: 83 children reside at the West Oakland Home.
1916: Property is purchased in Crows Canyon to be used as a summer camp where 50 children lives for the summer. The camp runs until 1929.
1918: The orphans known as Little Workers numbered 103. The endowment grows to $8,525.
1919: The West Oakland Home greatly impacted by the influenza epidemic. The cemetery plot in Oakland's Mountain View Cemetery sees unfortunate activity.
1920's: Lincoln becomes a charter member of the United Way's Community Chest Fund.
1925: The West Oakland Home catches fire and is condemned.
1928: With the help of Mary Crocker and the Bushell family, 7.55 Acres of property is purchased on Lincoln Ave for $25,292.50.
1929: A group of dedicated women form the Junior Alliance, launching a 75 years legacy of providing support and raising funds for the needs of the West Oakland Home.
1929-1930: Two cottages were completed and the children move into their new home at 4368 Lincoln Avenue.
1934: The Junior Alliance holds its first of what will be many annual fashion shows, the funds of which are directed to the building fund.
1935: The Junior Alliance administration building is completed.
1939: Mrs George P. Edoff, passes and leaves what will be a $300,000 bequest to the James P. Edoff Memorial Fund.
1940-1950: The name is changed to the Lincoln Home for Children. The term "emotionally disturbed" is first used and reflects the philosophical change in the population served. Trained social workers are hired, Lincoln is re-organized as a foster care agency and case management becomes an integral part of the services provided to children.
1950-1960: Lincoln Home for Children changes its name to Lincoln Child Center. It opens another residential facility, the Bushell Cottage, and opens its first classroom.
1954: Clayton Nordstrom and James Mann plan a three-day conference for Child Welfare League of America. The Oakland Community Welfare Council cites that "12 percent of Oakland School children need special treatment for special problems" c. 1954. Lincoln responds by opening its first classroom.
1956: Lincoln's members open the Bee Hive Thrift which quickly becomes an Oakland landmark and successful fundraising activity for Lincoln Child Center.
1965: Lincoln's first group home is created.
1966: Lincoln receives 35% of its funding from the Montgomery Ward's United Bay Area Crusade Donations.
1966: Lincoln Child Center begins tutoring workshops targeting troubled youth in the Oakland Public Schools. The goal is to bring the students back up to grade level.
1970: Lincoln opens its second group home.
1973: The Junior Alliance publishes "The Best Parties Ever" cookbook gaining international attention and continuing what has become almost 45 years of successful and creative fundraising activities for Lincoln.
1974: The 50 Year Member Tea is held to honor 8 members who have volunteered and supported Lincoln for 50 years or more. Proving what has been known to be unprecedented volunteer dedication to Lincoln and its children.
1976: Lincoln opens its 3rd group home in Linnet.
1977: he James Mann award is established in honor of Lincoln's former charismatic and visionary leader. Recipients are recognized for their dedication to children.
1979: Lincoln's flower groups sponsor the grand opening of Golden Gate Fields raising funds for Lincoln Child Center.
1981: The Lincoln Foundation is formed and in 1983 the Second Century fund is established.
1987: IRT opens, the Non-public School is opened and the Junior Alliance Building begins to be used for children's programming.
1990: The middle school is established.
1991: The First Annual Taste of Summer event takes place and quickly become Lincoln's signature fundraising event.
1995: The Holmgren house is built for IRT, Opportunity School Program begins, and the Bee Hive Thrift store closes its doors.
1997: Group homes are closed.
2000: Champlin House residential facility is completed.
2001: Kinship Support Services are created as a response to the growing number of caregivers who voluntarily raise a relative's children.
2003: The Lincoln Child Center Foundation is dissolved and absorbed by the Lincoln Child Center.
2007: Project Permanence and Alternative Learning Community programs are created to respond to the increased need for community as well as family support.